Illawarra Aboriginal Medical Service (IAMS) provides a wide range of culturally appropriate health and well-being services and continues to strive towards developing and enhancing new and existing services in an ongoing endeavour to better the overall health and social wellbeing of the Illawarra Indigenous community.
About the Role:
A unique and exciting opportunity has become available for an experienced and dedicated individual to join our passionate and innovative multi-disciplinary team as a full time Mental Health Nurse. The Mental Health Nurse will report directly to the Health Services Team Manager and is responsible for assisting in the provision of all aspects of mental health management and care of mental health clients of the IAMS.
The position is based at 150 Church Street, Wollongong, NSW 2500
The key objectives of the role include:
- Provide person centered care to IAMS mental health clients, delivering culturally appropriate, recovery focused, psychological therapies and techniques.
- Improve on Social and Emotional well-being and mental health outcomes by undertaking collaborative planning with client and family (where appropriate), including regular reviews and reporting.
- Work in collaboration with IAMS colleagues, and external service providers, following appropriate referral pathways, to ensure a holistic approach to health care provision for clients impacted by mental health illness.
- Liaise and advocate with Community Mental Health Services (ISLHD)
- Arrange and, where necessary, transport clients to Mental Health appointments.
- Provide evidence based, culturally appropriate, education to clients and their families/carers around mental health and suicide prevention.
- Provide crisis intervention for clients and their family/carers at risk of harm to themselves or others.
- Advocacy for government services such as, Centrelink, Housing, and child support agencies.
- Responsible for client recall and reminders for Anti-Psychotic Medication.
- Provide statistical data, reporting against Minimum Data Set (MDS).
- Current registration with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA) as a Registered Nurse (Division 1) and current NSW driver’s license.
- Minimum 3 years clinical experience in a mental health care setting.
- Covid-19 vaccinated in compliance with mandatory government requirements.
- Demonstrated understanding of evidence-based practice and critical thinking.
- Demonstrated commitment to person centered care and NSW Health Core Values.
- Demonstrated high level verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Computer literacy and understanding of relevant health related information systems.
- Demonstrated ability to apply the principles of recovery orientated practice and trauma informed care to practice.
- Part time role
- Attractive remuneration package
- Salary packaging available
- Work life balance
To apply for this position, please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com or apply directly through seek by Friday 9th February 2024.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are encouraged to apply.
Your application will include the following questions:
- Which of the following statements best describes your right to work in Australia?
- How many years’ experience do you have as a Mental Health Registered Nurse?
- Are you currently registered with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA)?
- Do you have a current Working With Children (WWC) Check?